I will start back up after Winter Break. Enjoy the holiday season 🙂
It is not what you say, but what you are willing to put on the line that will determine if you are an ally, advocate or an associate for black social issues.
College football and basketball players are not paid anywhere close to what they are valued, especially at the elite schools where they can afford to pay an assistant coach over $1 million a year and a head coach over $7 million.
If white supremacy were based on DNA racism would not exist. Listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins talk about how whiteness is a social construction and not a biological reality.
Ant and Bruce talk about today’s students having a “quarter life crisis” and what they were doing at 20yo. We did this recording a while back but I saw that it was never posted so please enjoy this blast from the past. Also, my phone vibrates at the end of the video. Ignore that 🙂
This next installment of, is this racist, features a police officer who posted a meme of a mother holding her daughter’s head underwater. Watch the video to figure out why the mother was doing this!
You do not know how many times I have seen people mess this up on a job application. This is my effort to try and help people understand what this question is actually asking and why it is important.
The next installment of “Is this Racist?”
In order to solve the world’s problems, Dr. Bruce Hoskins states that we need to engage in academic arguments rather dismiss research that we do not agree with.
Why is it important to be vulnerable when you teach? It shows the students that you care, that you are human and that they can also be successful.
If the US is a meritocracy then why is Collin Kaepernick not on an NFL roster right now? The answer is simple, because it is not!
Listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins explain why paying women based on their past salaries perpetuates institutional sexism.
Is there any social significance to social pattern of the preponderance of black people dying in movies?
Taking a look back at 5 years of the the Black Lives Matter movement, have these cases made a difference in how law is enforced?
Listen to how the myth of “positive stereotypes” is completely debunked as it pertains to Asian Americans.
Listen to research that debunks the model minority myth and why Asians have been more successful than African Americans in the US.
If you need any more evidence that we live in a rape culture, listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins talk about the corrections that the Baltimore PD needed to make that finally brought them into the 21st century.
Listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins breakdown what it takes to become a community college teacher, because it is VERY different than teaching at the University-level.
Dr. Bruce Hoskins just joined Weight Watchers and finds out that losing weight has been feminized.
This installment of “Is This Racist” wonders if calling the 4th of July a day for white people to remember their racist ancestors is racist.
Could it be that part of the reason that black girls are more likely to be punished at school is because teachers see them as older and less “innocent” than white girls?
Listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins as he breaks down that, even if we only counted reported rapes, the research SCREAMS that we are living in a culture that normalizes sexual assault/rape.
Dr. Bruce Hoskins questions who Affirmative Action really hurts and who it really helps as the Department of Justice considers getting rid of this policy.
The next installment of Is “This Racist” examines the comments that Shia Labeouf make to a black police officer after being arrested for public intoxication (amongst other things).
Listen to Dr. Bruce Hoskins talk about how white supremacy is perpetuated by skin care companies that promote whiteness as THE standard of beauty.
Dr. Bruce Hoskins wonders why interracial marriages are still considered taboo in our society and proposes some solutions to make these marriages more common place.
Listen to how Dr. Bruce Hoskins breaks down how a “good” white person who says that they are “colorblind” or even an “ally” could perpetuate systematic racism and white supremacy.
Dr. Bruce Hoskins talks about the death of Frank Fuentes, a “dreamer”, who died trying to get back into the US so that he could pursue a college education.
– A black person imprisoned for sexual assault is 3.5 times more likely to be innocent than a white inmate convicted on similar charges
– Half of all defendants exonerated for murder are black ― a rate seven times that for innocent whites
– While black and white Americans use illicit substances at about the same rate, African Americans are about five times more likely to go to prison for drug possession as whites.
– Train police to take an “innocent until proven guilty” approach for ALL people, especially black people
– Criminal consequences for misconduct – eye for an eye!
– Substantial compensation for victim – right now there is practically no help for victims. Free board, education and monthly stipend for as long as they were in prison
– Body camera evidence backs up the possibility that this happens more than we all thinkPossible solutions:
– Three strikes and you are out
o First offense – 1 month suspension without pay
o Second offense – 1 year suspension without pay
o Third offense – you are not allowed to work in law enforcement EVER
Rationale to kill – here is were bias in presentation happens
-They expressed a desire to kill law enforcement (only 28% of the sample)
-They felt as if they were going to lose their freedom by going back to prison
– Dallas, TX and Baton Rouge, LA only account for 2 of the 14 assailants that killed police officers with this rationale. What about the other 12? I am confident that there are white people in this mix, but they are not even mentioned
– An example of good data, but bias presentation and poor assumptions
- Although Wonder Woman was hailed as a feminist movie it was completely dominated by men.
- How do you make Wonder Woman a co-star in her own freaking movie?
- Steve Trevor was more important than Wonder Woman in the movie. The climactic scene in the movie was when Steve died NOT when Wonder Woman fought Aries.
- Mansplain – Sameer literally explained why Wonder Woman is Wonder Woman rather than Wonder Woman explaining why she is who she is.
- They made Zeus her “father” rather than Aphrodite or Athena her mother
- They used her innocence to shut her up rather than drive the movie. If you want a counter movie, think about how Forrest Gump’s innocence drove his movie.
- So this is how patriarchy works to eliminate the voices of women, even Wonder Woman
Three general rules to figure out if something is racist:
- Did they use a historically oppressive word or stereotype?
- Is it meant to limit, dismiss or dehumanize an entire group of people?
- Can you link what was said or done to statistically demonstrable patterns of discrimination?
- Student posts a photo of classmates on Craigslist and labels it ‘slaves for sale’
- In our society, ALL of us are socialized to believe White Supremacy along with male-domination, homophobia/transphobia and to favor the wealthy elite.
- Is the person racist? Determining if someone is racist is ALL based on INTENT not ACTION. In other words, does the person believe what they said?
- TWO general rules to figure out if something is racist:
- Was there a sincere apology?
- Did that specific behavior/practice stop immediately?